Sunday, September 25, 2016

Sewing Machines, Not what they seem.

Over the many years, I have learned a thing or two about my sewing machines.
First and foremost..... Mom was right, and I should have listened.

While I was growing up, Mom taught me to sew, by hand and with machine.
I loved machine better, as I didn't have the patience it takes to sew by hand.
I wanted immediate results, which I got with a machine. But any screw up on my part, also meant many hours removing stitches. 
Mom had an old Singer/Kenmore machine, 
It weighed a ton and It looked something like this....
Not an actual picture of Mom's machine. But it looks pretty darn close to hers. 
I never knew what happened to her green machine.
I remember breaking the reverse knob on hers, years ago.

It was heavy duty. I sewed every prom dress for my sisters and I. 
I also sewed wedding dresses and brides maid dresses for my sister and I on that machine.
And clothing for my girls. 
Well, by the time I moved out and decided to buy a machine of my own, Mom said,
"Buy one with all metal parts. They last longer."
Ummm..... No I don't think so Mom, I want the new and updated versions.
With all the fancy stitches.
Well, sad to say, I have been through 3 machines since then. 
Two newer Singers, and one Brother machine. 
And I very rarely used the fancy stitches.

 I've finally learned my lesson. Mom was right.
After taking my Brother machine to be repaired, I was told that the new machines are built with all plastic parts. 
That I already knew. 
What I didn't know, is that, these new machines are not meant to be fixed. You can't even get inside the machines to fix them, and they don't make replacement parts.
The repair guy, said the machines of today, are what he calls
 "Throw-away-machines".
Isn't that terrible?
So not only are we wasting money, but we are filling up the land fills.
And these machines can't handle heavy materials like jean, leather or canvas. 

Here is the culprit .......
I paid about $130.00 for this one.
He did manage to fix this one. Because I didn't break any of the plastic parts.
But he said I may not have that luck next time.
My machine repair man said, " Find an old machine. One with all metal parts."
Hmmm...... Where did I hear that before????

Off we went in search of a New/Old machine.
Found one.....
I don't gamble. To buy a machine, I can't guarantee works, was hard for me to do.
I bought it. The straight stitch is a dream. But it looks like I'll have to take it to the repair guy, and have him fix the knob for the zigzag stitch and the other fun stitches.
Because they don't work right. 
Got my fingers crossed, that it can be fixed.

In the mean time, I remembered, Mom gave me a Singer Featherweight Portable machine, many years ago.
I love antiques! Isn't it cute?
It works great. All metal parts. Light weight, and portable.
Pretty gold scroll print.
I never used it, because I didn't want to break it., or mess it up.
Well, the repair man says, USE IT!
Guess I will start putting it to use, while I wait for my Green Machine to get fixed.

Dear friends, Listen to Mom.....
Get yourself and OLD Machine. The ones that weigh a ton, and have all metal parts.
I been told, sewing is becoming a dying art. 
Clothes are cheaper to buy than make, and quilting isnt carried down like it used to be.

After I get my green machine fixed, I may go find a few more, for my daughters.
I want them to learn all my mom taught me.
Thanks Mom, I love you!
No more throw away machines for this family.
Happy Sewing!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment