Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Poncho Mania



It all started when my daughter shared a Pinterest pin,
 about a little girls poncho, that can be used with a car seat.
Cassie said she needed something for her daughter to wear while sitting in the car seat that would keep her warm during the winter months.
I had to check it out.
I was already frustrated with all the new rules about how children shouldn't wear coats in car seats.
I thought.....Thats just not right.
If your wearing a coat, why wouldn't you put your child in one? 
But my daughter says, No coats in car seats. Its not safe.
Things change so often, I can't keep up.

So, when she sent the pin for a poncho, I jumped on the chance to make something warm for my granddaughter to wear in her car seat.

This is the tutorial Cassie shared with me.

What a wonderful idea!

I made my Granddaughter two ponchos. Following the instructions on the site.
One for spring, and one for winter.
The spring poncho, is anti-pill fleece and a floral print.
For the winter poncho I used Luxe fleece, from Joanns, bought at 50% off. I love a sale!
The Luxe fleece has a tighter weave which helps block wind.
Its nice and thick for warmth.
I added buttons at the neck on both of these.


Here is my grand daughter wearing it in her car seat.



And here is my little cutie keeping warm on a snowy day!


The woman who created the tutorial for these, did a fantastic job, and I had no problems following her directions. It makes my daughter, and I happy to keep this little girl warm in winter weather.
Here is the site I used for directions, 

I loved how cute these turned out, so I decided my Grandson (Alex's little one) needed one too. 
However, I didn't really want a girly looking poncho. I had a hard time finding a tutorial for a boys poncho. So I decided to make my own poncho pattern.
Sadly, I have no tutorial for the one I made. 
I created it as I worked on it.


 I made it reversable.
With a pocket on both sides.
I also added a tie at the neck.


It turned out cuter than I expected.
I thought about adding a button under both arms.
But Alex said it wasn't needed.


He's a cutie too!!!
I forgot to get a picture of him wearing it in his car seat.

Its nice to know these babies can now be buckled into their car seats and still keep warm.
What a great idea, whoever thought of these ponchos. 
I will continue to make these for each of my grandbabies as needed.
And keeping them warm during northern weather is a must.

Happy sewing!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment